Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Carly of "Carly's Voice" is on ABC's 20/20 News Program this Friday @10pm

Many of you commented on how touched you were, by the story of Carly Fleischmann, I wrote about last month. Her wonderful story is part of an hour long 20/20 special about medical mysteries. This is a great opportunity to learn more about the world of Autism that is affecting so many of our children. I hope you will watch it!



Here is Carly's letter that she sent to me today, and asked me to pass on to my readers:

Hi. My name is Carly Fleischmann and this Friday August 7, 2009, you can see a small glimpse of how I live with autism on abc’s 20/20. But this is not the real story. The real story is that 20/20 is doing a story on autism. A lot of people in the media feel that autism is not a story that people want to hear about. But I was once told that ignorance is caused by not having knowledge on the subject. So if you think about it that way shouldn’t the media show more stories about autism? There are so many stories out there of people and families living with autism that really need to be told.



If this Friday we can show 20/20 that people will watch these stories, maybe they’ll want to put more of them on the air. If after watching 20/20 this Friday night, you feel you need to do something, email 20/20 at http://abcnews.go.com/2020 and tell them what you think of the story and that you would like to see more stories done.



I am asking for your help right now. I would like you to email this note to all your friends telling them to watch 20/20 this Friday at 10:00 EST. Also I would love it if you could post this note with my Carly 20/20 badge on your webpage, blog or even facebook page. If you have a twitter account you can even change your profile picture to my badge to show your support.



You can get your Carly badge at: http://carlysvoice.com/?page_id=183



I would like to throw out a challenge to Oprah, Ellen Degeneres, Barbra Walters, Larry King, 60 Minutes and any other talk show or news stations to start talking about autism.



Someone once said to me that if you bend one Popsicle stick it will break but if you try to bend a hundred Popsicle sticks together they won’t. Well I am only one Popsicle stick asking you to join me to become many.



Your autistic girl who tells it like it is,

Carly Fleischmann

11 comments:

  1. You go girl! Keep up the good work. We E-mail this to every one we can!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carly's story really inspired me. A lot of people don't like autistic people. They make fun of them. But deep inside, they're all just like us.. and truthfully, way cooler. Carly's amazing, and I hope it inspires everyone. :) By the way, I saw the show, and it was AMAZING. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saw the show and think you are amazing! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are awesome, Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carly, you are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. you need a twitter account. we can help spread the word much more quickly that way! you are awesome Carly. and a miracle.
    get twitter and post it, I just saw your story and want to help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have heard so many people comment on how autism isn't a real disability, but just lazy parents who want a scapegoat for their less than perfect child. They feel that the child is acting out in such a manner because they want attention from their parents or others. The ignorance of some people disgusts me. It's like saying the Holocaust never took place. When the world becomes educated about Autism, then they will stop being ignorant and start being understanding. Your story and others will help the world become educated. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your story will help so many families to understand what it's like to be Autistic. You're speaking for thousands of people that aren't able to. You'll never know how many lives will be touched because you were brave enough to let us into your world. Your gift of understanding and HOPE is priceless. Thank You Carly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My college teacher emailed me and told me to watch 20/20 on Friday night. I was not sure what it was going to be about, but knew it had to do with our class on young children and special needs. I watched Carly and cried with amazement. I am a preschool teacher, and I have worked with children with special needs. I am researching the subject of Autism, and finding it fascinating. Carly is amazing, inspiring, and for all the parents who have children with autism, Carly is encouraging.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, Wendy Lawson here. I am autistic. my web page tells about me & my work: www.mugsy.org/wendy I just wanted Carly to know she is not alone. So many of us are echoed in her story.
    Keep up the good work Carly, but look after yourself too and don't get over welmed with all of this. Take your time. I'm so pleased to have met you via your couragous efforts to tell the world you exist & are valuable. Autism isn't the problem, it's how society views us, that's the problem!

    ReplyDelete